Lahardane McHales GAA Club History

A GAA club existed in Addergoole Parish up to the late 1950's. Then Addergoole players up to the mid-sixties played football either with Newport or Crossmolina.

In 1966 a group of enthusiastic footballers and supporters formed the current GAA Club: Lahardane MacHales. The club had no grounds or facilities. A local farmer allowed a field to be used for games. It measured approximately 96 yards by 60 yards and championship games were played there for a number of years. The club adopted the family of the parish's illustrious Archbishop MacHale.

In 1975 the Parish Priest made ground available in Bofeenaun for a football field and clubhouse. The first games were played in the new pitch in Autumn 1975. In the winter of 1975-76 Lahardane McHales won the club's first ever competition: North Mayo Winter League. This success was followed by winning the North Mayo Junior Championship in 1976, and an unsuccessful participation in the County Final.

In 1979, through voluntary work, the GAA Clubrooms (two dressing rooms and a meeting room) were built. In 1988 this building was officially named the Padraig Garrett Memorial Clubhouse.

In 1989 Club na nÓg was formed. Up to the early eighties the club's main emphasis was the junior team. With the establishment of Bord na nÓg underage football became very important and went from strength to strength winning numerous divisional titles and County titles from U-12 to Minor.

Social Networking